Hannah Quote of the Moment

"Do cats wear collars? Maybe they don't need collars because they won't run away because they are smart."

Abby Quote of the Moment

"I will be the mom. But who will be the dad? I think I will wear mom's wedding dress."

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Only in parenting...

It is only in parenting when your highlight of the day (which you freely and joyously share with others) is poop in a potty.


Abby has entered into the beginning stage of potty training, mostly because I realized that Hannah was being actively potty trained at the same age. I honestly have a hard time remembering that big girl Hannah, on the eve of her sister's birth, is just about the same age as Abby is now. Maybe it is the hair, maybe it is the fierce independent streak the elder had but the younger lacks, maybe it is because I am not peering at Abby over an enormous belly of baby, but Abby at 2 years 4 months just does not equate into Hannah at 2 years 4 months (Hannah at the end of July, pre-Abby). Still, occasionally I realize that Abby is getting older and things like potty training take parent initiation (unless you have a super kid who does it themselves....).

And Abby is proving up to the challenge (maybe more ably so then her sister did). She can keep panties dry for long stretches of time and when changed back into a diaper (for going out) keeps it clean too. She knows when she has to pee and often makes it there in time. She also is not scared of pooping on the potty, which Hannah was. Before today she had tried her hardest and produced little raisins of poop (TMI?), but today had real success. And I think her success is even more highlighted by the disjointed potty training she has had, only wearing panties at home but doing diapers at daycare.

Although Abby will tell you she is a baby (in a complete sentence, with correct grammar), she daily disproves it, as potty training has illustrated. Kevin is willing to embrace this remarkable toddler, but I am still enjoying the fact that she is a cuddle bug who would gladly be rocked to sleep every night.

[On a related note, Operation Big Girl Bed has gone very well. It started rocky, but once we cracked her door she stopped fighting it. She gets tucked in, kissed and reminded to stay in bed and, 9 times out of 10, stays. She has reverted back into waking up in the middle of night, although it is improving. We also think lactose intolerance was playing a role in that -- she was all squirmy and farting up a storm. The dairy has been painfully, and imperfectly, cut from her diet and the night session of toots has ended. I guess I should be glad to have someone to share sorbet with, but I am trying to find lunches for a girl who would joyfully live on cheese...]

My Funny Valentines Girls (both were thrilled to be dressed similiar... they would do it every day if I allowed it)




2 comments:

jennifer said...

Yeah for Abby!!! Hate to tell you mom, she isn't much of a baby anymore!! :)

Christy said...

How FUN! I am so glad to hear the bed AND potty training are working out so well!!! You may have to give me some tips. :)