Wasn't much of a concession. Actual naps happen about once a week for Hannah and when they do she stays up till 8:30 or 9, complaining all the way. When they don't happen we battle-she comes in and out of her room, asking how many songs are left (nap time is measured by the CD she listens to), needing to go potty (recently 3 times in less than an hour!), having a question or wanting to tell us what letter some random word starts with. By the time nap time ended, the parent in charge was left feeling grouchy and harried, worse than pre-nap. So, giving them up was done just as much for our sanity as her sleep needs.
Part of me wonders if I gave in too soon, part of me thinks I hung on too long. She is practically 4 (and month and a half away!), gets 12 plus hours of sleep a night and I don't know many kids her age still napping. But... I know most kids don't get nearly enough sleep and Hannah functions best well rested (want to see a nightmare? travel with her and give her only 9 hours of sleep a night=monster!). Plus, I really need a break!
At any rate, we are trying this new no-nap rest time where she plays quietly in her room for about 40 minutes. It still gives me a slight break although leaves me wishing for longer. Well, time marches on and kids outgrow naps!
****
On the Abby front, Operation Take Pacifier Away has not gone without glitches. Difference between taking a paci from a 12 month old and a 16 month old? 16 month old asks (verbally) for it and remembers nights later that she still wants it. 12 month old didn't really seem to notice. Definitely more work for Abby. Still, when we've considered back peddling, I keep in mind that if it is this much harder at 16 months, what would 24 months look like? So, hopefully, in another few days or so, Abby will be back to napping a couple hours a day (right now we are at about 1 to 1 1/2 hours total per day). Night times have gotten better (first night she woke up at 5:30 and cried on and off for awhile, despite our attempts to help her out) so that gives me hope. Although, I do miss my baby that went down for bedtime without a peep....



7 comments:
Evan gave up his nap at 3 1/2. And then we had quiet time in his room for a while after that. I think it's a good idea. I was always thinking he should nap and would get frustrated when he wouldn't. So when I finally let him give it up it was a relief in a way.
We gave up on Kyleigh napping at about 3. She did not want to go down at all. But the plus side was that she also goes to bed at about 7 each night and sleeps 12 hours. As for the pacifier we took it away a little later, she was 18 months, but after about 4 days she was fine.
Brenda
We threw in the towel a loong time ago with Kennan! He still has quiet time in his room though...I need the peace and quiet! And way to go on the pacifier! I think we are going to give it up in a few months. I'm not ready for the battle yet!
I like the 40 minute rest period in place of the nap. When my kids were younger they listened to books on CD and that gave me a break. Now that they can read they read to themselves during the mandatory rest period. Sometimes they don't like it but we still do it.
Wow -- your girls are looking so much older! And so cute! I hadn't read your blog in a while and I was so surprised -- especially by Abby. Thinking of you all,
Emily
I've slowly but surely caved on N. When I started he would nap hard and I'd have to shake him awake after 1 1/2 hours. Now we've worked our way up to him getting to take a toy with him to his room and hopefully not break anything or hurt himself or wake his sleeping sister for about an hour. I definitely need that time. And if B sleeps too long in the car when we run errands in the morning sometimes she won't go down at all in the afternoon. I love that hour of sanity.
I love the picture of Hannah you places right after announcing your surrender--so apropos! I'm impressed that your kid goes to sleep at 8:30 or 9 WITH a nap; we're getting ours into bed by 8 without a nap, and it's still usually 10 before she falls asleep. With a nap it's closer to 11 or 11:30.
Post a Comment