Hannah Quote of the Moment

"Do cats wear collars? Maybe they don't need collars because they won't run away because they are smart."

Abby Quote of the Moment

"I will be the mom. But who will be the dad? I think I will wear mom's wedding dress."

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Let the partying begin!

In true kid birthday fashion, Hannah will be celebrating her birthday for over a week (not just National Hannah Month stuff-serious celebration). Today was phase one: the preschooler cupcake snack/party. Coming up--mini-party with visiting Grandma and Uncle Karl (this weekend), family party (Monday, her actual birthday) and friend mega-party (next Sunday, the 5th). Hopefully, Hannah will feel properly celebrated by the end of it.

The cupcakes turned out to be a bigger deal than they should have. I, in true over-doing it fashion, decided to bake some delicious white chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate, cream cheese frosting. Yummy, huh? I got the recipe from epicurious.com (a great cooking site which always gives me wonderful recipes). However, for the first time, the site let me down. Actually, more accurately, my cupcakes let me down -- literally. They caved in. They taste good, but not so pleasing on the eyes. I was told that of course I didn't need to make any other cupcakes, just frost them well, but as the picture shows, it just didn't seem doable. Plus, the perfectionist in me couldn't take those caved guys in public.
Instead, I went and bought a box of white cake mix and whipped it up. The end result turned out fine, although I was still frustrated even when it was all said and done. Although the cake mix was packaged, the frosting was all from scratch and turned out GREAT! If you ever want something extra yummy, white chocolate cream cheese frosting is the way to go!

A few of the cupcakes I took with me to the class

5 comments:

Karin said...

Can't believe she's almost 4.
I am sure everyone loved the cupcakes.
Your sprinkles are pretty evenly spaced.
I am guessing Hannah didn't help!

Alisa said...

Of course Hannah didn't help! WOuld have been a mass of sprinkles! Actually, her helping was on the table as an option--until she hijacked the pink sprinkles and made a mess. She then officially lost the option.

jennifer said...

I am sad we aren't there to celebrate! Sounds like you are going to have a fun week of partying!!

Novenson said...

sweeeeeeet.

Christy said...

OK, I can totally relate to the taste good but looks disappointing thing. I made Allie a cookie cake from scratch along with frosting from scratch - totally turned out tasting awesome but the icing melted on the just warm enough cookie and looked awful. I'm glad she's only 4 and doesn't care yet. :) We were going to do Allie's party next weekend too but I think we'll have to cancel with everyone out of town strangely. Have fun!