Tonight Hannah rendered both Kevin and I speechless. Not totally uncommon, but the story that she told was.
Kevin was singing "Old MacDonald" to Abby (who was enthusiastically doing the animal noises) when Hannah started talking about visiting the farm in New Jersey (Terhune).
H: Remember that time when we went to the farm and they had horses.
A (busy doing other things): Sure.
H: do you remember standing in line for the horses, to ride them. We had to stand there a long time. But I didn't want to ride the horse. But I still got to watch the show.
A (realizing the one time Hannah almost rode a horse at Terhune): What show?
H: with the things on the hands.
K (joining in): A puppet show?
H: Yes! I didn't ride the horses because I was scared, but I liked the show.
A (fully into the conversation): You were 2! Abby was still in my tummy? You remember the show?
H: Yeah.
A (after a speechless moment): WHO ARE YOU?
H: the smartest girl in the world?
So, in summary, Hannah remembered an event from two summers ago, when I was very pregnant with Abby. How I know it is her memory and not a recitation of what we've told her -- I barely remembered that there was a puppet show and have never retold that part of the day to her. Hannah every once in awhile will talk quite clearly about things in NJ, events that we did, people that we knew, but never a detailed, random day like that.
****
Any suggestions for good Easter picture books? Our church is doing an Easter Story time after an egg hunt and was wondering if anyone had a favorite....
****
Benefit to small town living? You can get in and out of the ER in 45 minutes, having never needing a waiting room and getting to see the patient's primary care doctor. Discovered this last night, right after we discovered how Abby acts after a mild concussion. Yeah, one of those things that could have been much worse than it was (her concussion could have been more severe, the wait could have gone on for hours, we might had needed to take Hannah with us instead of having the benefit of leaving her at home with visiting family, etc) but it was the best it could have been, given the fact that Abby discovered she was wingless and cannot fly.
Why Is It Important to Travel in Your Own Country
3 months ago



3 comments:
Crazy what kids remember! That's amazing.
Is Abby okay? What happened?
Hannah definitely reminds me of Cambria. C pulls out stories like that all the time. We've given up being surprised. Plus, Cambria has Jeff as her dad. Jeff is a freak when it comes to remembering things. :-)
it might be too late...but...illustrated Bible stories, by ella lindvall vl 2 has a good easter story called "a sad day, a happy day" which goes from the cross to the women telling the disciples about seeing jesus :)
another one that's just a good story (but less straight Bible) is "the tale of three trees"...
good luck!!
Post a Comment