Hannah Quote of the Moment

"Do cats wear collars? Maybe they don't need collars because they won't run away because they are smart."

Abby Quote of the Moment

"I will be the mom. But who will be the dad? I think I will wear mom's wedding dress."

Thursday, June 5, 2008

South Dakota!

For this post Kevin was smart enough to bring a chair into the bathroom, which is much more comfortable than a toilet seat lid. We are currently in Rapid City, SD, home (or close neighbor) of Mt. Rushmore. This morning we were in Sioux Falls, SD, which we had to leave in a hurry -- I heard that there was a severe weather watch over the area due to possible tornadoes and freaked. So, we left town, eating our breakfast on the road (the first time we've eaten a meal in the car this trip). Unfortunately, the road didn't seem a whole lot better -- it poured most of the 340 miles that we went today. We saw that tomorrow would bring more of the same (rain) so we decided to brave the rain and head up to Mt. Rushmore today. It was very cool, even in the rain. Hannah wanted to know why we couldn't climb on the faces but decided it was too slippery and if we did we would fall. I was almost equally impressed by the Black Hills' Forest, the largest amount of evergreens that I have seen in a long time! After the empty rolling hills of the last day or two, the Forest was amazing. (Heck, I don't think I've seen a collection of evergreens the whole trip.)
Tomorrow will find us trekking through a small sliver of Wyoming and into Montana, we will stop in Billings for the night before heading onto Helena to visit some of Kevin's cousins. Then, it is no stopping till Coulee Dam! Only three more days of traveling!
(I've got more pictures to post, but am having issues with the laptop and camera getting along -- hopefully I'll be able to post more pictures in the next week or so...)

1 comment:

Miranda said...

That's how day three of my drive was. Wretched rain and tornado warnings, and general terrible driving. I hope the last few days treat you better.