Today was a first in Hannah's TV watching history, a long history that stretches back practically 3 and 1/2 years when I first plugged in Baby Einstein so that I could take a shower. Today Hannah got upset while watching a show.
A few funny things about this. One, I was watching with her, something that is not standard but for which I was glad. Two, this was a good show -- a Veggie Tales show (did you know that they are on NBC?). Three, why she got upset.
So the show was about baby Moses, mostly from the perspective of Miriam, the big sister. It is a story we are all very familiar with - the fearful Pharaoh sentences to death all new born male Hebrews, a story powerful enough to make any person upset if they put their child's face with the decree. Veggie Tales tried to make it more kid-friendly: instead of saying that the baby boys were being killed, they just said "go away". This, however, was not enough for Hannah. She started crying while watching it. I asked her why she was upset and she said that she was sad because the baby went away from her big sister (this in reference to Moses floating away from Miriam while in the basket and then getting gotten by the Pharaoh's daughter). I pointed out that Miriam then went and got Moses back (took him home for his own mother to be his nursemaid) but Hannah couldn't get over the fact that Moses went away from his big sister. My daughter who has never shown any fear while watching TV (mainly because we are very strict on what she watches) cried when a big sister lost her baby (which, confusingly enough, they were calling a girl in reference to the family trying to hide the fact that Moses was a boy and thus under the Pharaoh's edict, so, really the big sister lost her baby sister). It was touching and sad and a little bit amusing.
It also raises questions for me. How do we introduce our daughter to these biblical stories that are so important but yet so frightening? Hannah is starting Sunday School this coming Sunday and the focus is on Bible stories, starting with creation and moving into more tricky areas (so, with the flood... or the plagues...). The Moses story is just one filled with terrifying things. What is the balance?
On the Abby front, I now have a stalker. Kevin and I tried telling her months ago that when she started crawling she could follow us around, but she just now discovered the joys in that. I put her down and then go about my business and Abby crawls after me, begging to be picked up. She also is always trying to get to the refrigerator before I close the door and screams when she fails. It is pretty funny, although slightly trickier to do stuff while not stepping on her.
On the me front, I finally got a new haircut. This is big news -- this is only the 2 time in a year that my hair has been cut (slightly frightening?). My friend Raehanne (mom of the 3 kids, in the bible study) is a stylist in Spokane (she only goes in a couple days a month) and recently her and her husband redid a place in town, where she works 1 day a week (they rent out the other spots). I got a very cool new do' -- sort of Christina Applegate-ish and actually working with my curls/waves, which is a first for me. I like it, but know it will be an adjustment...
Why Is It Important to Travel in Your Own Country
3 months ago



6 comments:
I think blog readers need to see a pic of you Alisa. I wanna see the new haircut. Oh, youll find it out soon but I cant come over to your house this weekend, i got asked to work. Sorry, I promise I will come and see you guys soon. I think that you just have to be careful at anwsering her questions so she wont be as scared.
~Kara
I second the vote for a pic of the new haircut!
As far as the harsh realities of the bible go, I have found success with telling my children the facts, sparing them any unnecessary and gory details, and explaining how sad it makes Heavenly Father when we use our free-agency to choose evil. I also try to emphasize His love and care for his children and His willingness to forgive when we repent.
I believe children can handle much more than we think, and are often more scared by vague or misleading answers (ie: the baby boys were "going away" in the Moses story).
Just my 2cents worth. :)
I agree. I want to see the haircut. I know Kevin knows how to use that camera!
How sweet is Hannah! I only hope that Katie will love her little brother as much.
I want to see the haircut too! I would love to talk about the Bible story thing...too much to just write about...
The church website looks wonderful! The choice of black & white photos provides a sense of calm and tranquility that color photos lack. The picture of Hannah and Abby is one of my favorites.
Alisa, I didn't know you had curls and waves... let's see it! Kevin, get the camera.
Love,
Suzanne
Post a Comment