Hannah Quote of the Moment

"Do cats wear collars? Maybe they don't need collars because they won't run away because they are smart."

Abby Quote of the Moment

"I will be the mom. But who will be the dad? I think I will wear mom's wedding dress."

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Schooling it

This year has found Hannah "officially" in preschool (last year was technically a test-run/mom with new baby needed break). However, this year has also found me continually frustrated with what Hannah is doing in preschool. Honestly, last year had more structured activities and, quite possibly, more learning. I know exactly what Hannah is doing in preschool because the co-op type (which she goes to) requires parent involvement, which means that I'm in the classroom 2 times a month helping out.

Now, maybe some of my problem is that I taught Kindergarten and 1st grade, so really, I have an idea, but my idea is higher than it should be (I'm guessing a 6th grade teacher would have no problem looking at pre-school and saying it was totally different than their experience). Or maybe Princeton ruined me-I have an elevated idea about what is required; after all, I doubt the kids in Hannah's current preschool class knew all their colors and shapes before 2 1/2, like Hannah's Princeton friends (nor could most of them write their names when they started, again unlike Hannah's Princeton friends).

Still... I want more for Hannah. My kid is a sponge but she isn't being put in water to soak up. We knew when we came here that the schools weren't that great--they are grossly underfunded (think: almost all of their tax base is unavailable due to Federal land, ie the Dam owns it all, or the reservation) and serve a very diverse, mostly lower income population. Still... I feel like more could be happening in the preschool, after all, most of the kids in it have very involved moms (being a co-op almost all the mom's are stay at home). (An example of what is not happening: no direct instruction of the alphabet, no letter of the week or such and most of the kids in the class are going to Kindergarten next year!)

Anyways, all of this is to lead up to me saying that I have been supplementing Hannah's preschool. And that means that I have letter cards on the wall, am printing out worksheets from online and am engaging her on various alphabet and number activities. Must admit-I always wanted to avoid this. I guess I never wanted to be the mom that really pushed her child, although, I don't feel like I am pushing, more running to keep up. I've been slowly introducing letters (just their names and sounds, her fine motor skills are not ready for printing), but find the my schedule is way behind hers. I also started some counting and number identification, only to find that she could do it by herself. Her "nap time" frequently finds her coming out of her room to tell me what letter some object in her room starts with. Give her a letter and she can tell you 3 words that start with it.

So, where do I go from here? You moms of preschoolers (or those recently graduated): what do you do? Any great websites that help guide you? Any curriculum you use that is outstanding? I've seriously contemplated starting more reading geared activities once we make our way through the alphabet, but am not sure how to do that without the readers that I used in the classroom. Plus, I'd hate to neglect science, but am clueless at where to start (besides Sid the Science Kid on PBS). On top of all that, the bulk of my teaching supplies/resources are currently hiding out in boxes at my mom's house!

I'm glad Hannah goes to preschool-it has been a good outlet for my extremely extroverted child, allows plenty of opportunity for painting and other messy activities I am reluctant to do, plus is a way to make friends in the community. I just wish that her preschool was slightly more structured so that I didn't feel like I needed to make up the slack. But maybe it is good that I am forced to be, after all, I'd be the first to say that parents should be engaged in their child's learning.

Online resources I've used so far: tlsbooks.com and beginningreading.com

7 comments:

Maria said...

I have used a couple of good books for science when I was teaching preschool. One is Mudpies to Magnets by E. Sherwood, R. Williams, and R. Rockwell. THe other book I really like is Play and Find Out about Science by Janice VanCleave. I used to know lots of good preschool websites, but now it's been awhile. When I have a bit more time I will try to find some of the ones I used a lot. I am sure you will be able to come up with some fun activities that teach and challenge Hannah!

jennifer said...

First of all, I think you are a great mom and have always challenged Hannah to grow and learn more (even when she was in a great preschool program). Second of all, I imagine it would be pretty frustrating to know she isn't being pushed as much as she could be. Lastly, I don't have any great ideas for curicculum to use and it sounds like what you have is pretty good. Maybe you need to become the new preschool director!! :)

Jon said...

It's a very hard balance. We're still new to this, but it helps me to remember that the family is the model. Despite how important school is and how much it offers, the parents are always the biggest influence and if they read the kids will read also. It would be nice if preschool is where they go to learn, but maybe that will be where they socialize and play and more of the learning will happen just from being around you. Let us know how it goes! We're thinking of trying half days soon.

Sarah said...

Great comments already. For science I have the "Mudpies and Magnets" book and "Green Thumbs - A Kid's Activity Guide to Indoor and Outdoor Gardening" both recommends from "The Well Trained Mind" if you would like them. My kids are older and I won't use them. Facebook me with your address and I'll send them to you if you like.

GEB said...

Ooh, glad to hear about the science stuff from other posters. And selfishly glad to hear the positive assessment of preschool back here in Princeton, since it's the only one we know.

It sounds like Hannah is showing you how much she's going to pick up whether she's formally instructed or not! On pre-reading stuff, Edith is suddenly interested in all her simplest board books again now that they've resurfaced in little sis's room. So I've been capitalizing on her request that we re-read those "baby books" by asking her now and then to sound out a key word (like "Spot" in the Spot books), then see if she can find it on each page where it appears. We only do it as long as she's interested; if she starts balking, I just return to straight reading. But she seems to like the challenge now and then. Sounds like Hannah might be up for something similar?

Novenson said...

i like your new background. that must be frustrating. you really are doing a great job and asking great questions. i don't know any resources right now but will let you know when i run into any...alison eitel might have some good suggestions...she teaches preschool at Wilberforce here in princeton...i will try to get her e-mail for you. hang in there and keep getting creative...

Amy Grabow said...

I love the teacher in you! The only resource I can think of is a fantastic website called www.starfall.com. I used this with my kindergartners and they couldn't get enough. There is a alphabet section where she can click on a letter and it plays short clips with music and they also have games to go along. The site also has stories to read (this may be something to do down the road). You can click on the words and they will sound them out for you. Each story also has phonics games to go along with the short or long vowel that is being emphasized in the story. Lastly, there are also fun, random, and simple activities to keep up the interest level. I had actually printed out all the material for this and used it in my classroom. And we used the website as a “center” during center time. Hope this helps.