1) Hannah, Abby and I went on our first Coulee Dam play date. We might just have friends. After a month plus of no friends, this is a big deal. It is a family that we met while candidating, they go to the church, have a daughter who is 2 and are expecting another one in October (I told her that was a good month for babies, Karin). The girls had fun playing, although Hannah at times got too nurturing (trying to lead little Brianna around) and Brianna was maybe more interested in Abby than Hannah (is that like when you go on a double date and end up switching dates?). Anyways... it was fun, I had someone to talk to, Hannah had a good time on the playground. And, I think we are going to meet up next week too. Ahhh... maybe, just maybe, our life in Coulee won't be solitary confinement.
2) We have a kitchen floor. You don't know what a big thing this is until you live without one. I should also add that we have a living room and dining room floor. Hannah's comment on having a kitchen floor: "now we can go into the kitchen barefoot and get what we want to eat." Poor kid-she has not been free to walk around her house due to the lack of floor. The floor looks great, so much nicer than what was here. Installing your own flooring is not for the faint of heart, and it takes time, but was worth it when you count up money saved... oh, and we have a new dishwasher (the old one is gone!).
What we had to work with
A nicer kitchen. It is not quite done-the countertops and the stove are living on borrowed time, but for now, the kitchen is basically done (okay, so that window is going to be replaced-soon-, the sink needs a new faucet and we need to add molding at the bottom...)
So, that makes today good. Our adjustment to Coulee is going okay. We have felt very welcomed by the church. I love that fact that I am only cooking 3/4 of the time because the other 1/4 people are bring us dinner. I know it won't last, but while it does... :) Kevin seems to be embracing his role and enjoying it. He is still in the midst of setting up his office, planning his installation service (the 19th of this month) while writing this week's sermon and visiting people. I think I'm adjusting to my role here at home (our roles are shifting again-switching from Kevin being a student to Kevin working), while trying to figure out what my role is out in the community (nothing gets people showing their Christian "credential" faster than saying that your husband is the new pastor).
I wouldn't say that I feel settled here, but I think we are heading that direction. Still, I'm a little homesick for Starbucks and playtime at the little mall or park at CRW.



3 comments:
Okay, so I thought the "before" picture was the "after" picture and was marveling at how nice it looked! It seems really spacious and light-filled. And then I saw the after picture and thought it looked even better. Congratulations on getting it done! I'm impressed.
your kitchen looks great!! remodeling will really make you appreciate those who do home improvement! i love where we are at and we feel very welcome, but i too feel homesick...for our bible study meetings and all of our friends!
Yeah!!! It looks great! And I am glad you found some friends!
Post a Comment