Hannah Quote of the Moment

"Do cats wear collars? Maybe they don't need collars because they won't run away because they are smart."

Abby Quote of the Moment

"I will be the mom. But who will be the dad? I think I will wear mom's wedding dress."

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Quotable Hannah

Here are some quotes from Hannah that help illustrate our daily doings.
"This is a good runway." She said this as she broke in the new floor that stretches from the bedroom hallway to the refrigerator. She's right, it is a good runway--let's hope she doesn't crash land.

"Maybe I should try the mushrooms since I don't like them." This quote floored me. I could learn a lot from her. Mushrooms have consistently been the one food she does not like. She picks them off of pizzas, out of fajitas and any other place we try to slide them in. However, twice recently she has decided to give them another try, just to make sure that she doesn't like them. We didn't prompt her, it was all her doing. At 27, I do not have that kind of food maturity -- just recently I have tried cherries after decades of "not liking them" but never trying. They're not my favorite, but I don't dislike them. Maybe I should copy my daughter and try things I don't like.

Hannah enjoying cherries

"I want to sit by Brianna -- she is my friend!" This was told to us this morning in an attempt to let her sit by Brianna at church. It seems like such a high school thing, ditching your family to sit by your friends. I kept insisting that she must sit with us, resulting in Hannah having a good, 13 year old tempter tantrum. Please, please tell me that the teen years aren't here yet!


Going off this quote, I feel like I must tell you that my daughter, after losing all her friends over a month ago, is a bit stalker-ish with this new one. She will not let Brianna out of her sight.


"Hands on the butter." This is Hannah rewriting a Caedmon's Call song, "Hands of the Potter." Now, she insisted it was hands on the butter even after a lengthy chat about what a potter is and all that. She just thought that hands on the butter sounded better when set to music.


"No Abby-don't throw! We only throw balls." This is because Abby has a new favorite game, Toss the Cup over the Edge.












"Mom, you see that dam, the water makes electricity." Yep, she's been on too many guided tours of the area...


I don't have any good quotes for this next bit, but yesterday, while "helping" Kevin outside with some flooring stuff, Hannah decided to hang out with our neighbor, a 60-ish bachelor type. She has embraced all things 3 and talked his ear off, asking him repeatedly "why?" something was the way it was. It was pretty funny to watch.


Okay, so Hannah is going to VBS this week. It is being help at our church, but run by a different church (they didn't have the necessary facility). I'm excited -- this is a great chance to meet people and it gives me a little bit of time to get things done without her. Still, I had a hard time leaving her....lucky for me, she knows where her Daddy's office is. :)

2 comments:

judahmo said...

I love the Hands on the Butter! I'm sure I'll never think of that song in the same way!
Shannon

GEB said...

Edith would love a song about Hands on the Butter, too.

And when I was growing up, all the kids in my (very small) church sat together in the front row, rather than with our parents, so we could see. I think it actually helped our behavior to be front and center, and it certainly helped everyone keep a collective eye on us.