Hannah Quote of the Moment

"Do cats wear collars? Maybe they don't need collars because they won't run away because they are smart."

Abby Quote of the Moment

"I will be the mom. But who will be the dad? I think I will wear mom's wedding dress."

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Wall-E?


So, I have a question to toss out to all you blog readers -- is Wall-E an appropriate movie for a 3 year old? I ask this with some hesitancy because I know I am a bit on the uptight side when it comes to my child's movie (and TV) watching habits. Having grown-up with an overactive imagination (which I retain today, which is NOT always a good thing) and having been scarred for life by Pinocchio (and ET and a million other "kid" movies), I am reluctant to show Hannah much in the way of movies (okay, so the girl barely watches anything that isn't Sesame Street, Super Why or Blue's Clue, although I did just branch out and start DVRing Bindi the Jungle Girl, but the episode we watched yesterday with big ol' snakes made me doubt that decision...). To date, Hannah has watched 4 full length movies -- Curious George, Lady and Tramp, Cinderella and Cars (she watched the last three on our car ride out here -- her verdict is animals and princesses before race cars).


Still, the reviews of Wall-E seem really good and there doesn't seem to be an "villain" types (for those who have not watched a Disney movie with a child in mind lately, think back to how scary Ursula, Cruella and such ilk really are--they are plain evil!). Now, I know you are just thinking -- go preview it yourself! I agree totally. However, I live in a town with a movie theater with just one screen that shows movies just Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, at 7 pm the first two nights and 6 pm Sunday. There is simply no way I can preview it. So, give me feed back! I know some of you have already seen it!
(Part of this all comes about because Hannah has been sweetly asking to go on a "date" with Mommy and Daddy...)

6 comments:

jennifer said...

Kenny took Kennan to see it the other day. There weren't any scary parts but it didn't really hold his attention. Robots don't talk all that much so I think Kennan got a little bored. Kenny said there is a "villian" but it is a robot, so no big deal. Afterwards, Kennan announced that he wanted to see it again (but didn't have that feeling during the movie)!

Anonymous said...

I know of someone who saw this movie and said it would not "hold" Kyleigh's attention long enough for us to go see it. That most of the content is more for older children or adults.

Brenda

Miranda said...

No clue about Wall-E, but I recommend Between the Lions for TV. It is remarkably unobnoxious and educational. (and now I'm going to take a moment to be a little wierded out that I have an opinion about preschool tv shows.)

Anonymous said...

I took Evan while we were in Oregon and it was okay. Evan liked it okay but not great. He kept asking me a zillion questions the whole time and there was practically no dialogue the entire first half of the movie. So I would say wait for a better movie.

Suzanne said...

Twenty five years ago Lucas went home on most school days with another kid in his 1st grade class since I was working at the time. The mom was fairly "free-thinking" and allowed the boys to watch "Potergeist" (excuse the spelling). I was NOT PLEASED! Aside from the story line and content I worried that Luke would be "damaged". I'll always remember his comment when I asked him about the movie, "It isn't real, mom!". I wish I could be as pragmatic as my son.

Regarding Wall-E. I saw it; it was cute; I was rather bored. Since most of the story is beyond the understanding of a 3 year old, don't waste your money. Not enough dialogue and lots of underlying themes about "saving the earth" etc. which I don't think Hannah would get.

I look for your posts daily... I'm almost as bad as a grandmother!

Love,
Suzanne

Laurie M. Lee said...

Cambria won't watch anything that she "thinks" might be scary. However, I am thinking of taking her to see Kit Kittridge when we're on vacation in a few weeks. I have promised her that there is nothing scary in it (since that's what I've heard).