Let me tell you about Abby. The last few weeks I have been figuring her out a bit more and wanted to pass on my findings.
First, let me say that Abby is adorable. All babies are cute and I am extremely biased/blinded when it comes to my daughters’ cuteness, but I think she is absolutely adorable. She is a mellow, content little girl who loves her family very much – it is very obvious already. She lights up for Hannah and always is happy to be with her mommy and daddy. She smiles easily and often, and loves a good giggle-fest with her sister. Both smiling and giggling seemed to come earlier/easier to Abby then with Hannah. She loves to cuddle. Pretty much any problem she has can be solved with a good cuddle (when that doesn’t work, we use a Moby Wrap to hold her in even tighter—that never fails).
All this means that, along with a sweet, adorable, loving child, I have a sore back. Abby is much more Mommy-dependent than I ever remember Hannah being. Hannah would cuddle, but she also wanted to explore the wide world. Abby wants to view the wide world from my arms. And often times, it is only my arms that will do (or Daddy’s). The last two weeks has had the start of stranger anxiety, which basically means, she looks at a face that is not her family, and the lower lip starts to quiver and then the crocodile tears start to flow. Four months is too early for that! My back right now is demanding that it gets a break, but Abby doesn’t seem to notice.
However, might I add some cute little things that she does because of this Mommy-dependency? A little after 3 months she was reaching for me to hold her (because someone else was), which is very sweet (and early). When I put that pacifier back in her mouth at night, she grabs my hand with both arms and hangs on tight because she doesn’t want me to leave. Also, one night on our trip, Abby was in bed with me at 5 am to nurse and fell asleep. I tried to lay her on her back to sleep (she was on her side), but she wouldn’t roll away – every time I gently tried to roll her over, she fought it and rolled back. She just wanted to be close and cuddle.
I don’t see my back getting much relief in the near future. My younger daughter is someone who needs to be close, just like my older daughter has always insisted on independence. It is who is she and I am okay with that. With Hannah I’ve struggled to teach caution and waiting for Mommy. With Abby I might need to teach stepping out on her own and being okay with other people. For the next few months, my sling and Moby wrap will earn their moneys worth (I barely used the wrap with Hannah and didn’t have the sling). I’ll pull out the heating pad and convince Kevin to give me back rubs.
And who knows, babies change. What Abby is like now is an indication of who she will grow to be, but not a guarantee. After all, at three months old, I thought Hannah lacked personality…
What I know that will stay the same is that my daughters are adorable.
First, let me say that Abby is adorable. All babies are cute and I am extremely biased/blinded when it comes to my daughters’ cuteness, but I think she is absolutely adorable. She is a mellow, content little girl who loves her family very much – it is very obvious already. She lights up for Hannah and always is happy to be with her mommy and daddy. She smiles easily and often, and loves a good giggle-fest with her sister. Both smiling and giggling seemed to come earlier/easier to Abby then with Hannah. She loves to cuddle. Pretty much any problem she has can be solved with a good cuddle (when that doesn’t work, we use a Moby Wrap to hold her in even tighter—that never fails).
All this means that, along with a sweet, adorable, loving child, I have a sore back. Abby is much more Mommy-dependent than I ever remember Hannah being. Hannah would cuddle, but she also wanted to explore the wide world. Abby wants to view the wide world from my arms. And often times, it is only my arms that will do (or Daddy’s). The last two weeks has had the start of stranger anxiety, which basically means, she looks at a face that is not her family, and the lower lip starts to quiver and then the crocodile tears start to flow. Four months is too early for that! My back right now is demanding that it gets a break, but Abby doesn’t seem to notice.
I don’t see my back getting much relief in the near future. My younger daughter is someone who needs to be close, just like my older daughter has always insisted on independence. It is who is she and I am okay with that. With Hannah I’ve struggled to teach caution and waiting for Mommy. With Abby I might need to teach stepping out on her own and being okay with other people. For the next few months, my sling and Moby wrap will earn their moneys worth (I barely used the wrap with Hannah and didn’t have the sling). I’ll pull out the heating pad and convince Kevin to give me back rubs.
And who knows, babies change. What Abby is like now is an indication of who she will grow to be, but not a guarantee. After all, at three months old, I thought Hannah lacked personality…
What I know that will stay the same is that my daughters are adorable.



No comments:
Post a Comment